Submitted by Bridget Pasapane on Thu, 04/27/2017 - 10:21am
During my endeavor at Broward College, I have learned that connecting and becoming an active student, as well an active member of the community, plays a crucial part in one’s college years, right after academics. I was constantly involved at my college, whether it was being an officer for a club or volunteering for an event. I utterly enjoyed serving at events and the community, conversing with successful people, and merely growing as an individual. Although, after receiving an invitation to National Society of Leadership and Success, also known as NSLS, is when everything changed. This exquisite and professional organization is a great tool to become a successful leader. Other than the great perks offered for members, the main objective is to help others discover and achieve their goals.
Below are six reasons why every college student should become a NSLS member at their college’s chapter.
1. Great benefits The perks of becoming an NSLS are endless. Benefits includes: Access to over a quarter-million dollars’ scholarship and awards, Job banks to one’s preferred job/internship, discounts on many retail goods and services, custom letters of recommendations, resume enhancements, motivational recording delivered directly to you every Monday, and access to past presentations from well-known speakers.
2. Access to Live Streamed Speaker Broadcasts A series of six speaker broadcasts are live streamed every year. Speakers share their story and motivational speeches on relevant topics facing students and graduates. Previous broadcasts speakers included, Anderson Cooper, Barbara Corcoran, Andy Cohen, and many more inspiring celebrities and authors.
3. Build Connections You may have heard the phrase, “It’s all about who you know.” We live in a society where connections are a major key. NSLS provides the opportunity to build connections and help achieve future goals. One can meet people and build great connections at any NSLS social events, fundraising events, service projects, and other society gatherings. Leave every event knowing you communicated with five people and exchanged phone numbers with at least one person. You will notice the doors that will open for you, merely by making friends.
4. Growth and Improvements This great organization will help others grow and make room for improvements. By participating and being an active member, one will notice positive changes and habits. NSLS Success networking team (SNTs), success coaches, and professional communication training are available to assist others to improve their habits to achieve one’s goals. SNTs are available for members to participate with society peers in goal setting, accountability, and commitment to action. This will make one’s vision become a reality. Success coaches and communication training are also available to aid others improve skills by identifying one’s communication style, prepare members to interact effectively with others, and align specific goals.
5. Inspires You to Inspire Others From watching motivation speaker broadcast to building connections, this organization will inspire one to inspire others. By gaining a plethora of great advice and knowledge about becoming a leader and serving others, one will want to eagerly spread what they have learned. Life is more than living in survival mode. Be an active member, grow as a person everyday, learn something new, and serve others. NSLS has truly opened my eyes as a twenty-something starting college. This organization has encouraged me to become a successful leader and make every opportunity count. It is the slight edge one does everyday that will pay off overtime.
6. Gain Experiences The perks and advantages listed above will make members one step ahead when applying for a job. By being an active member by participating in the activities and events, one will gain experiences and knowledge that might not be available in a college course. Other than being a resume booster, NSLS provide intellectual stimulating experiences that will prepare others for life after college. Being involved in this organization will be a great preparation and might even open doors for one’s future.
“There are many programs similar to NSLS that have the same objective to empower students, but what set NSLS apart for me was holding me accountable for my progress. At the beginning of the program we had to come up with a mission statement that would be used to drive us forward to reach our goals. Throughout the program and to this day, I repeat that statement in my head like a mantra and that alone has taken me a long way. Along with regular SNTs and weekly motivational speakers, I had the support system I needed that included myself, my peers, and successful mentors. Before I even graduated the program, I scored an internship with my dream company in the career area I am pursuing. It all started with a mission statement that helped me align my actions and choices with my goals. Since joining NSLS, I have grown substantially as person and more specifically, as a leader.”
– Chanel Samson, NSLS member
“This society has actually really opened my eyes. I have never joined any clubs/organizations during my time in school, merely because of my shy personality. Although, after receiving the NSLS invitation letter and I decided to try it out. I am utterly glad for the decision I made to become an active member. Listening to speakers, like Dolvett Quince and Barbra Corcoran, has showed me that it is possible to overcome adversity and that confidence comes from within and not from others instilling it in you. Since joining, I have become more confident in the things I do and I try to make people laugh and smile when I can. I am thankful to be a member of a great organization”
– Darren Grant, NSLS Member
Originally published on hercampus.com
Thursday, April 27, 2017